May 21, 2026
The Democratic Republic of Congo has faced Ebola seventeen times in fifty years. Its health workers know the disease intimately — its incubation, its speed, its brutality. What they did not anticipate this time was facing it with so little behind them.
As the World Health Organization declared the current Ebola outbreak in the DRC and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern on May 17, 2026, a painful question is being asked in medical corridors from Kinshasa to Geneva: did deep cuts to global health funding turn a containable crisis into a catastrophe?
A Familiar Enemy in an Unfamiliar Situation
The Bundibugyo strain of Ebola — one of the rarer forms of the virus — is believed to have been circulating undetected in northeastern Congo for six to eight weeks before laboratory testing confirmed its presence in mid-May. A cluster of severe illnesses among healthcare workers in the remote Ituri province eventually triggered alarm, but by then the window for early containment had narrowed dramatically.
That delay is not a coincidence, say frontline responders. Aid groups and health officials report that they were left without the staff, surveillance systems, and emergency stockpiles needed to catch the outbreak early. "No one is forthcoming about resources," one health worker on the ground said. "Everyone is struggling."
The Dismantling of the Infrastructure
To understand how the response became so fragile, you need to look at what was dismantled in the years prior.
The United States had long been a cornerstone of global epidemic preparedness, particularly through the U.S. Agency for International Development. USAID played a decisive role in containing the devastating 2014 West Africa Ebola epidemic, which ultimately killed more than 11,000 people across ten countries. The agency funded surveillance networks, community alert systems, laboratory capacity, and the supply chains that put protective gear into the hands of health workers.
That architecture was quietly taken apart. U.S. foreign assistance to the DRC collapsed from roughly $1.4 billion in 2024 to around $430 million in 2025, and has fallen further to approximately $21 million allocated for fiscal year 2026. HHS funding to the country dropped from $33 million to under $10 million. Programs specifically designed to detect Ebola cases, warn communities, and dispatch response kits had their funding cut or eliminated entirely.
The consequences were immediate and practical. Ebola response teams saw their work frozen. Medical stockpiles went unbuilt. Local health systems that had been slowly strengthened over years began to deteriorate.
"Our Investments Were Working"
Perhaps the starkest measure of what was lost is a single comparison.
In 2022, when an Ebola outbreak was detected in Uganda, surveillance systems caught it in under 48 hours. One person died. Atul Gawande, a former senior USAID official, points to that outcome as proof of what functional preparedness looks like. "Now, we are way behind," he said of the current outbreak. "It's been circulating for months or more, and it's going to take just as long to respond."
Former CDC Director Tom Frieden, who led the agency through the 2014–2016 West Africa outbreak, has described the cumulative effect of dismantling USAID, withdrawing from the WHO, and cutting CDC staffing as a "1-2-3 punch to global health architecture." Every hour of delay, he warned, allows the virus to get further ahead.
A Global Problem, Not Just an American One
It would be too simple to lay this entirely at one country's door. Western nations broadly reduced aid to both Congo and the WHO over the past year, and the resulting gap in resources was felt across multiple organizations simultaneously. The International Rescue Committee, which had previously supported a range of preparedness measures in the DRC, noted the breadth of what U.S. funding had once covered — from communicable disease treatment to sanitation to supply logistics.
The administration has pushed back on criticism, with officials highlighting ongoing support and noting that some public health funding has been redirected through a bilateral "America First" agreement with the DRC, pledging $900 million over five years. But those on the ground say that shifting programs mid-stream added confusion, not clarity.
What Comes Next
There are no approved vaccines or therapies for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola. There are no reported cases outside central Africa. The WHO has stopped short of declaring a pandemic. But the outbreak is already being described as one of the largest in history, and it is spreading with what health officials call "alarming speed."
The lesson here is not unique to Ebola. Epidemic preparedness is, by its nature, invisible when it works. The surveillance officer who catches a cluster of fever cases early, the community health worker who recognizes a pattern, the stockpile that gets opened in week one rather than week six — none of these make headlines. The cost of dismantling them only becomes visible when it is too late to avoid it.
The people of the DRC have shown extraordinary resilience across seventeen outbreaks. What they are asking for, and what has been taken from them, is the basic infrastructure that would let that experience count.
Sources: The Washington Post, STAT News, PolitiFact, Axios, Common Dreams

Comments
Post a Comment
Hi, Thanks for your comment :)